Make Your Move!
Returning to Otakon Vegas is Cosplay Chess!
Sign up to participate before the January 11th deadline!
Two players will play an actual game of chess, with the help of 32 Cosplayers on a human-sized chess board! Any moves made will be mimicked on the life-sized chess board. If a chess piece is overtaken by another piece, then both chess pieces will have a quick battle on the chess board. You have to be improvisational during the fights and they need to be PG-13.
Rules & Requirements
If you would like to participate in Cosplay Chess, please use the link at the bottom of this page to fill out the Application Form.
All participants are required to show up a half an hour before the event starts. Then you, along with 31 other Cosplayers, will be put on a human sized chess board. Two people will be playing an actual game of chess. Any moves that they do will be mimicked on the life sized board. If a chess piece is overtaken by another piece, then both chess pieces will have a quick battle on the chess board.
You have to be improvisational during the fights and they need to be PG-13. The Otakon Vegas Cosplay Chess Event is a family friendly event. All rules of the convention apply to this game as well, including rules for props and weapons. If you do not adhere to the rules of Cosplay Chess or the rules of the convention, you will be immediately removed from the game and possibly referred to Otakon Vegas Staff.
Rules for Cosplay
- Incomplete entries will not be accepted (You have to sign up with Cosplay that you will be wearing on the day of the event).
- No Original Cosplay Characters please.
- Cosplays from other media forms (examples: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Homestuck) can and will be accepted.
- The Cosplay has to be a recognizable character. I cannot accept "My Cosplay is the lovechild of X and Y from XYZ series" because that character does not exist in the canon of the show. Cosplays that are mashups (for example, Pikachu version of Darth Vader) can be accepted on a case by case basis.
Cosplay Chess at Otakon Vegas is a fan-run event. Please direct any questions to LVCosplayChess@gmail.com
instead of using the convention Help/Contact links on this website.
Is it OK if my Cosplay is not completed yet?
Yes, it's OK if you have not completed your Cosplay. Please periodically send us progress shots so we can get an idea of how your Cosplay is coming together. If it's looking like you might not be done by the application due date, we will make special arrangements with you.
Can I be a knight/bishop?
We do take your requests seriously, but unfortunately have 32 pieces to pick, and half of those are pawns. Please do not take it personal if you don't get the piece you want. We agonize over the piece assignments and spend a lot of time considering all the awesome Cosplays. In fact, pawns can (and usually are!) a major part of the game.
I might be late for the event, is this OK?
It would not be fair for our players if they had to start the game with missing pieces. We ask all our participants to show up 30 minutes before the scheduled start time so we can adhere to our allotted time on the schedule. We will start the game promptly by the time listed on the program schedule.
If you are early, you are on time. If you are on time, you are late. If you are late, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE ON THE BOARD. You have to be on the board ON TIME.
I am applying along with my significant other/best friend. Do we need to send two applications?
No. You can send both of your application in one email. Just make sure to check the email that you used to sign up for any notifications from us.
When is the last day I can submit my application?
Applications will be accepted up until January 11, 2017 at Midnight. Any applications submitted after that point will automatically be alternates.
When are you picking Pieces?
Piece selection will begin on January 12, 2017 and applicants will be emailed right after.
What is an alternate?
If we receive more than 32 applicants, any extra applications over that number will be enlisted to be Alternates to take the place of a piece that is late, missing or sick the day of the game.
What if I don't hear back from you?
If you do not receive any emails from us for a week or you are unable to email, you can contact @asagohanhimura on Twitter or Facebook.
All applicants are asked to commit to the following:
- Show up 30 minutes before the scheduled start time. If you are late, YOU WILL NOT BE ON THE BOARD. Getting 32 Cosplayers on a board takes time.
- Keep in contact! This is essentially a 32 person Masquerade skit, so you have to check your e-mails regularly, especially the two weeks before the convention.
If you would like to be a chess piece, please send the following information in an email to: LVCosplayChess@gmail.com:
- Full Legal Name
- Character and Series you will be Cosplaying as for the Chess game
- What chess piece would you like to be and why?
- Please attach a reference picture of the character you are Cosplaying as and an actual picture of you in your Cosplay.